Installing the AnimatLab SDK
AnimatLab2 Pro has been updated to include the robotics interface. This means that in theory, the standard download available on the website should be capable of running MantisBot. In reality, this software is continually evolving and getting better, and it is always best to stay on top of the most recent versions, which are available only through the NeuroRobotic Technologies Github. This also allows for editing the software, should that ever be needed.
- Ensure that you have Visual Studio 2010 installed. It has to be 2010, because future versions separate support for different languages into separate software packages. AnimatLab is written in multiple languages, and requires the unilateral language support of 2010. This is available for free with a student email via Microsoft Dreamspark.
- Follow the instructions on this page (http://animatlab.com/Download/AnimatLabSDK/tabid/238/Default.aspx)
to download and install tortoise SVN and GIT. **Do not yet start following the numbered instructions on the bottom of this page.**
- Download and run (in the following order) the following executables from the same page:
- SDK source code
- OSG installer
- Bullet installer
- Boost installer
- Robotics installer
- Change the BOOST.ROOT windows environment variable to C://AnimatSDK/3rdParty/boost.1.54.0. If you do not know how to do this, follow these steps:
Open a file explorer
Right click on computer and select properties
click advanced settings on the left.
Click environment variables in the opened dialog
Under system variables click new
For variable name set it to BOOST_ROOT
for variable value set it to C:\AnimatLabSDK\3rdParty\bo
Click ok. Verify it was added to the system variables list.
close out the dialog box.
Open a new command window (do not use one that was already open)
type echo %BOOST_ROOT%.
It should return C:\AnimatLabSDK\
- Use Visual Studio to build Debug and Release versions of openframeworks.sln
- Run C:\AnimatLabSDK\3rdParty\openFrameworksArduino\vs\UpdateBin.bat
- Copy dynamixel.dll from C:\AnimatLabSDK\3rdParty\DynamixelSDK\x32\bin into C:\AnimatLabSDK\AnimatLabPublicSource\bin
- Return to the link from step 2, and follow the instructions numbered 1-6 towards the bottom of the page.
- Copy the “Commander SS” and “Bioloid” folders into the Arduino Path. This will overwrite the ax12.h and ax12.cpp files provided by Arduino; this is ok, they are backwards compatible.
- You can now run a robotics simulation by opening a command prompt and calling “PATH\AnimatSimulator” “FILE_PATH\FILE_Standalone.asim”. See the picture below for an example: